DeKALB – Northern Illinois head coach Rod Carey expects junior wide receiver Tommylee Lewis to play against Idaho Saturday.
Lewis suffered an ankle sprain during NIU's 30-27 win at Iowa Week 1 – after catching five passes for 82 yards and two touchdowns. He didn't practice last week but Carey said Lewis would practice Tuesday. "He's going to go today, and we're going to get him out there and run him around some," Carey said at Tuesday's weekly press conference. "I know he's excited and so are we."
Senior tailback Akeem Daniels isn't listed on the depth chart, and he won't play this week. He's been out since the start of fall camp after having foot surgery in the offseason. Expect to see a good dose of Cameron Stingily and Keith Harris Jr.
Other notes from Tuesday's news conference:
• The only way to watch Saturday's game is with VandalXtra on the Idaho athletic website. A one-month subscription is $9.95.
• Carey said during the bye week the team was able to use the time to work on a number of things. "I think you try to touch on everything," he said. "From game plan to the development of the youth, to getting guys healthy again, getting them some time. You kind of try to touch on all your issues."
• NIU is trying to start the season 2-0 for the first time since 2003, when the Huskies got off to a 7-0 start. NIU's slate that season included wins over Maryland, Alabama and Iowa State.
• The last time these two teams played at Idaho, NIU got a 42-35 win at the Kibbie Dome in 2007. It was one of only two wins on the season for the Huskies, with Larry English finishing the game with five sacks.
• The series is tied 3-3 all-time. Idaho was the last team to beat NIU at Huskie Stadium back in 2009. However, the Vandals have just nine wins over the past three seasons, and have suffered two blowout losses so far this year.
– Steve Nitz, firstname.lastname@example.org, @SNitz_DDC