DeKALB – As Jordan Lynch's new No. 1 option, Tommylee Lewis could be in for a very big year.
During Saturday night's scrimmage at Huskie Stadium, Lewis caught a touchdown pass of about 50 or so yards, torching the secondary. He made a few other catches as well, though he did drop a pass over the middle.
He caught 48 passes and five touchdowns last season, but could be ready to take the next step.
Da'Ron Brown also made a nice over the shoulder touchdown grab in double coverage, and drew a pass interference call in the end zone. I've seen him make some nice catches the first week of fall camp.
Martel Moore's loss is huge, but I don't think wide receiver is as big of a concern as some people tend to think.
• Aregeros Turner is one freshman who's stood out so far. He will play some running back, but Saturday he took his reps at wide receiver with the second team.
• Safety Jimmie Ward didn't participate but it's nothing serious. NIU head coach Rod Carey said he'll be back soon
• Cameron Stingily took most of the first-team reps at running back and I thought he looked impressive. Keith Harris Jr. got the other first-team reps, while Giorgio Bowers and freshman Joel Bouagnon got second-team reps. Bouagnon had a short-yardage TD.
• With Ward out, Dominique Ware took his spot at safety, with Dechane Durante taking the other first-team safety spot. Paris Logan and Sean Evans were the corners, and Evans had an interception. Marlon Moore played safety with the second team.
• Drew Hare and Matt McIntosh split the second-team reps at quarterback, and I thought Hare was the more impressive of the two. The one play he made which stood out was escaping a sack attempt and making a nice completion to Matt Williams, a former quarterback himself.
- Steve Nitz, email@example.com, @SNitz_DDC