Two more days of preseason practice remain for the Northern Illinois football team before the Huskies go into their regular schedule next week. NIU began preparation for Iowa on Wednesday, and continued Thursday.
Here are some notes and observations from Thursday’s practice:
• Freshman running back Keith Harris Jr. was in the no-contact green jersey and went through individual drills. I wasn’t at Wednesday’s practice, but Harris missed Tuesday because of the flu.
• Linebacker Victor Jacques (leg) was back practicing but hasn’t been cleared for contact. He’s listed as the starting middle linebacker on NIU’s preseason depth chart. Redshirt freshman Boomer Mays has been taking reps with the first team.
• Thursday was the first time I’ve seen freshman wideout Angelo Sebastiano in a full-contact jersey. He’s practiced all camp, but has been in the no-contact green jersey while recovering from a back injury.
• Defensive end Sean Progar didn’t practice but it’s nothing serious. NIU coach Dave Doeren said he should be back today.
• Noticed a change on the offensive line, with sophomore Tyler Pitt taking Matt Killian's place at right guard.
• Be sure to check out my video interview with NIU co-defensive coordinator/defensive line coach Ryan Nielsen following Thursday's practice.
— Steve Nitz, email@example.com, @SNitz_DDC on Twitter