One down, 23 to go.
Northern Illinois held its first practice of fall camp Monday afternoon at Huskie Stadium. The Huskies will hold a total of 24 workouts between Monday and Saturday, Aug. 24.
NIU practiced in jerseys and helmets Monday, and the Huskies won't be in full pads until Friday.
Here are a few tidbits from the team's first August workout:
• Redshirt-freshman Matt Williams, who was a quarterback last season, is now at wide receiver. He's athletic, and played some wideout at Geneva High School, so he could be a good fit there.
This means the backup QB competition will be between sophomore Matt McIntosh and redshirt-freshman Drew Hare.
• Freshman Aregeros Turner was previously listed as a running back on NIU's roster, but was listed as a wide receiver on the fall camp roster given to media on Monday. That's where he took all his reps as well.
• Tyler Loos is healthy after missing the final three games of last season with a broken tibia. He took some reps with the first team offensive line.
• Freshman running back Jordan Huff took some second-team reps Monday. He's a guy I could see playing as a true freshman. With Akeem Daniels out early on, guys like him will have an increased workload at practice.
• After seeing the new scoreboard up close, it looks real nice. The ribbon boards on each side of the stadium also look completed, and the once-white goal posts are now a neon-yellowish color.