Created:Saturday, March 16, 2013 10:05 a.m.CDT

BASEBALL: Huskies lose on walk-off homer


NASHVILLE, Tenn. – What started as a slugfest turned into a bullpen, small ball showdown as Northern Illinois (3-14) fell to Belmont (13-4) on a walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth inning, 4-3. Both teams combined for five home runs in the contest.

“Outside of the outcome, that was a good baseball game today,” said Head Coach Ed Mathey, “Our hitters worked the count and battled with a candidate for the Ohio Valley’s Pitcher of the Year, a good veteran with a solid three pitch mix, sometimes four. We had some opportunities break the tie late there but we weren’t able to capitalize on those chances.

“I thought Jordan was good today and made pitches when he needed to though he didn’t have an outing like his previous two,” Continued Mathey. “Relief pitching was good today too with Justin stepping in with a strong inning. Anthony stepped into a tough situation and we were looking for the left-on-lefty matchup but we didn’t get there.”

Belmont hit the first two home runs, a leadoff homer in the first inning and the other in the third frame to take a 2-0 lead.

Nate Ruzich joined the long ball party in the top of the fifth inning as he hit a leadoff home run with a 1-1 count to cut the Bears lead in half, 2-1. The homer was his first as a Huskie and Northern Illinois’ first long ball since Brian Sisler’s at Nevada Feb. 23.

The Bears hit the fourth solo home run of the game in the sixth inning to take a 3-1 lead. NIU responded in the top of the seventh as Landon Tenhagen singled to left field to lead things off for the Huskies. Connor Duckhorn followed up on 2-2, one out pitch with a two-run shot to right center field to tie the ball game, 3-3.

Jordan Ruckman pitched 6.1 innings in the contest, allowing six hits and three runs. Belmont hurler Chase Brookshire pitched seven innings, allowing eight hits and three runs.

With the match at a deadlock, the slugfest transformed itself into a bullpen showdown. Tommy Hook, who finished 2-for-4 in the game, made a great diving catch in the eighth inning on a line drive to left centerfield to record the second out of the inning, which likely prevented a late double in the ball game.

Justin Ruckman pitched an inning in relief and did not surrender a hit in the effort. Anthony Andres hurled an inning of relief as well, striking out one and allowing three hits.

Andres found himself in some trouble in the ninth with runners on second and third with one out and Drew Turner at the plate. With a 2-2 count on him, Andres threw a pitch high and outside that Turner chased with the bat but the first base umpire ruled that he checked the swing to award a full count. Turner singled to left field on the next pitch to clinch the victory, 4-3.

After the game, Mathey said to the team “if we keep playing like we did today, we’re going to get some wins. They caught a break and they capitalized on that chance.”

The Huskies will return to action tomorrow afternoon at 2 p.m. when it takes on Lipscomb in game two of the Music City Tournament.

Will NIU football win the MAC this season?